Wednesday, March 2, 2011

SMAASZA #1 and 2011 English Extravaganza Week #1

3/1/11

SMAASZA BOLEH!!!! SUKAN CHAMPIONS!!!! CHUKAI, KAMAMAN, TERENGGANU!!! FEB 25-27 2011!!!!

This past weekend I was invited to attend the district sports competiton in Chukai,Kamaman, Terengganu. I was soooooo glad that I went as SMAASZA was crowned overall champions of all and both boys and girls activities. We left on that Thursday and returned on Saturday afternoon. Congratulations to all of SMAASZA's participants and coaches. I am proud to be apart of such a rich tradition. The finals will be held in Besut, Terengganu next Tuesday-Thursday and will include all teams of Terengganu.

Today 3/1/11, I held my first activity of my 2011 English Extravaganza Week #1. Students who were interested in participating were instructed to arrange themselves in a group of 5. Each form was to only have 3 groups so that there would be 90 students for each activity. Well I didn't quite get those numbers for the first activity but it's ok. So the week includes 3 activities. The first, Relay While You Relay, was held today. Nine teachers were selected to aid with the game and their task was to ask 3 students questions. See Diagram below. Questions would range from: name 5 words that have the letter P as the second letter to make a complete sentence out of the word interpret. Now along with questions there were also riddles and funny/silly acts that were to be answered and performed. For example, what has teeth but does not eat or what has two hands and goes round? Answer: Zipper, comb, bike chain and a clock. The silly act would include sing your favorite song for 10 secs or dance to imginary music for 10 sec. VERY VERY VERY FUNNY to watch!!! When the student got the answer correct, the teacher would give the student a piece of a puzzle. 3 of the students would go through the "maze" and come out with a total of 9 puzzle pieces. Each puzzle piece had a part of a phrase or sentence on the back of it that the students had to arrange in the correct order. The 4th student would be the designated arranger of puzzle pieces and the 5th person would be the designated speaker for the group when they presented the correct answer to me. Whoever completed the task in the shortest amount of time won a FREE trip with me to somewhere "fun". These trips included KL, Hot Springs in Besut, National Forest, Genting Highlands(theme park), go-karts trip, picnics at Lake Kenyir, and a host of other locations and attractions. IT WAS A SUCCESS!!!! The students and the teachers that helped both had a wonderful time. Both said they learned a lot and had a great time while doing so. Those were just a couple of the goals. I wanted to promote interactions and I got interactions. This activity fostered creative thinking skills, communicative skills, and confidence in speaking in English. I got positive feedback from some of the teachers also who were in attendance to support. I also had a great time and learned a lot about some areas that I need to focus on moreso than others. This was a great activity and glad that I had the support of the SMAASZA teachers and staff and also three of the ETA's that came to show support and help: Leigh, Billy, and Megan. It went so well in fact, that we were treated out for a celebratory dinner at Secret Recipe by Madam Zalina, the Co-curricular leader at SMAASZA. THANK YOU teachers and staff and the three ETAs; also....THANK YOU Teacher Zurina for being helping me out with organizing everything regarding the 2011 ENGLISH EXTRAVAGANZA WEEK #1
Stay tuned for the next two activities!!!

DIAGRAM OF RELAY WHILE YOU RELAY

x      x       x


x      x       x

^      ^       ^
x      x       x

G1   G2   G3


x=Teacher with question
G1,2,3= group of students

* Students progress through maze in the direction of arrows


HAPPY BIRTHDAY DADDY!!!

Thank you for being the man that you are. As I grow older and realize more and more responsibility and become wiser in my actions, I sometime wonder what's next. I don't have to look far to find the blueprint on how it should be done. I can only hope that I can take what you have shown and continue to show and build upon it for lessons in my life. Enjoy today with the family and continue to touch others in a positive light and be blessed.

 Love you,

  Dakari

No comments:

Post a Comment