Monday, August 22, 2011

Toni is the Bomb.com


OK, since June 24(last entry) I have been involved in soooo much. From playing in a basketball tournament and conducting my second English Extravaganza Week  to Berbuka Puasa (breaking fast) with a student and my mentor I have been through a lot. I feel these last couple of months have been the quintessential culture exchanging months. The month of June was concluded with a trip to the most famous island and beach in Terengganu, Pulau (island) Redang. This was the last of our three trips with SUK (Education Dept. of Terengganu). What I thought was going to be a weekend bogged down with meetings reiterating activities that we had conducted actually turned out to be nothing but fun. We went snorkeling, did karaoke, jungle trekking, and just enjoyed each other’s company. The beach was as beautiful as the stories I’ve heard. The resort, boasted a magnificent buffet and dinner. To me, the dinner was the best part of the trip. They gave us plates, they gave us forks and spoons and they gave us an open fire bbq. There were steaks, lamb, corn, squid, chicken, rice, fruit, shrimp and countless other bbq favorites. The food was delicious and afterwards we went out and experienced some of the nightlife that Redang has to offer.

As I continue to pursue communication improvements amongst the students I conducted another English week. This time for my English Extravaganza Week #2 implemented new activities that promoted confidence, speaking skills, vocab, critical thinking, teamwork and most important FUN. The theme was Sports, Hollywood, and Food. To promote the week’s activity I held a drawing contest where students competed for a cash prize by drawing their own depiction of the theme. The students are very talented as some of these drawings drew interest from teachers and me alike. They were so good in fact that I awarded two participants as the joint winners. They were both creative and colorful. Their concept of integrating all three together worked very well. There were three activities: Sticky Situations, Losing Your Marbles, and Lights, Camera, Action. Each focusing on a different skill and interactive method. The first, Sticky Situations, involved the students answering timed questions about vocab, trivial facts, or parts of speech. In their groups of 3, each student had a different task. The first student would be the only person that could communicate to me. The second person was the “middle man” in that he/she could only think of answers and help the first. The third person, the sampler, was the person who ate the food. So if the 1st and 2nd person did not the answer the question correctly, the 3rd would have to eat a combination of marshmallows and peanut butter, hence Sticky Situations. Also, if the group did not answer the question the fastest then the 2nd person would also have to eat the peanut butter and marshmallows. It goes without saying that this was definitely a funny event. After the first or second dose of the sticky combination I constantly heard, “sir….no more, please.” The second activity, Losing Your Marbles was a scavenger hunt. I gave each group of 5 a set of clues that correlated with a puzzle piece. Once the groups solved the clues they were instructed to report back to me and fill in the blanks to the clue. I picked locations around the school to hide the pieces. The answer to the clue was where was it was hidden. For example: 

Serves many many things

Like nasi and daging

You can find these foods and more

In your school’s               .

The answer is canteen. So once they figured out the clue, they rushed to the location completed the question or task associated with it. For example: identify the part of speech, create your own alliterative poem, name words that rhyme with…, or kick these three soccer balls into the goal then  run a lap(just for laughs).  Once the groups returned with the correct response to the clue and all correct answers they participated in a ping pong ball race. The team had to perform a relay where they transported a ping pong ball back and forth. Needless to say this was the funniest moment of the whole activity. Groups were dropping the balls, cheating by carrying the balls, worrying about other groups, and tried to distract the other participants. One group tried kicking the ping pong ball on the ground once they dropped it as oppose to starting over which is what they were instructed to do. It was SO much uproar about who cheated that I was going to cancel the whole activity because at one point EVERYBODY was cheating. Man, I tell you….tell the kids that the prize is a trip to Gambang Waterpark and they lose it!! Eventually, I had to stop and talk to them about sportsmanship also. It got through because I gave them a second chance and it was like it wasn’t even a competition anymore. I was like, I never said you couldn’t cheer on your team or have fun but just don’t kick the other team’s ball if they dropped it. The last activity, Lights, Camera, Action!, initially saw over 40 contestants sign up for the acting activity. I’m not sure if they thought agents from Hollywood were going to be there but the pressure got to them. When I opened the doors I only had 12 people show up. Groups consisted of 4 students and they had to come up with their own creative skit. There were 3 groups and 2 of them did similar acts. I think it was because a lack of planning on their part because once I said “Lights, Camera, Action” they were in the corner delegating parts of the act. The winning group was late(they had class) but after the first two groups went I was willing to let anybody try. Not only were they prepared but they were great. FORM 3!!!!! They did a skit on world peace and the environment. It was well thought out, great acting, and entertaining. It was so good a member from another group came and said “Sir, they won didn’t they”. I couldn’t do anything but laugh.

One problem that I am facing now is funding. I have a lot planned for my students and the school but I’m coming to realize that I will not be able to do half of them. I have written proposals, asked for help, and spoke with administrators and committee councils for funding. They just don’t have it. The winners of my two EEW(Engl. Extravaganza week) activities have asked me when were they going on the trip. When we first briefed about funding and asking for money we were told that there is separate monies allotted for the program and its activities. I was banking on that to come through for these end of the year trips and activities with my students instead I have to cut back on what I plan. I have found myself partially paying for many of the activities. I don’t mind doing that at all because we are having fun and we are learning from each other. I just wish that some of the other more pertinent tasks could get completed and money was not a limiting factor. I guess everywhere you go has potential or already is being subjugated to fiscal spending.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment