Monday, January 10, 2011

A blessing.....

1/6
Today was a long day as we continue to cram Bahasa Malayisa lessons into repeated hour long sessions. It is however proving to be successful as the group improves in its conversational skills. The main highlight of the day came when we found out our placement. The time had finally came and we were all excited to find out what are of Terengganu we were teaching in and the school. Mr. Coffman had held off and finally caved in. I have been placed in Kuala Terengganu and I will be teaching at SMA (A) Sultan Zainal Abidin. Now, Kuala Terengganu is the capitol of the state and the heaviest populated. It is also the location with the most accessible amenities. Other areas of placement included Seitu and Besut in the North, Kemanan and Dungun in the South, Marang which is right below Kuala Terengganu, and Hulu Terengganu which is more central. The school where I’ll be teaching is one of two religious assigned schools. This will no doubt prove to be interesting because it is a Muslim school as 98% of Malays are Muslim. How would I cope with a new religion influence? How would this influence my teaching experience and strategy? I’m just thankful for this experience. THANK YOU. One of the things that I wanted was to live by a beach or have the school be by a beach. I’M ON THE BEACH in BOTH CASES!!!! THANK YOU. My school is located right on the beach with only a row of trees as the divide. Can you imagine my class lessons and group outings? Lol
                I decided that I needed to go to the Petronas Towers to see them at night. Elizabeths and I walked over which took about an hour because of a misunderstanding amongst us. When I asked her if she wanted to go she thought I asked if she wanted to go eat (KFC). I wanted to go to the towers and the park (KLCC). Lol Nevertheless, we made it and had a great time on the playground at the park, exploring the area, and just enjoying the ambience of the towers and the presence that they brought! It is a truly majestic sight to behold.
1/7
THANK YOU God for allowing me to wake up this morning! It is truly a blessing to wake up and in good health.
Today are Bahasa Malaysia/TESL (Teaching English as a Second Language) teacher instructed the group in different activities that we could introduce to our students. I think these activities were more fun to us and sure that they proved beneficial to the group in that we were able to “break-ice” amongst each of us. They were interactive games which included group activities, games, and teaching opportunities.
                I haven’t really spoke on the food or makun yet but it is AMAZING and CHEAP! This is one thing that truly is consistent. I have not had a bad or distasteful meal. I have had traditional and authentic Malaysian, Thai, Vietnamese, Cantonese, Chinese, and Indian food. All have proven to be very tasty and delicious. The Indian food and the Thai food so far have been the best! I’ve found that no matter how full I am I still return to those same stands or restaurants to get more. Most of the dishes have been spicy which I like because it’s a different type of spicy that I’m used to in the states. The spices and herbs are a little different and I think hotter than what I receive in the states. The minum or drinks are equally as tasteful. My favorite is called Blackcurrant and is similar to a cranberry and grapefruit mix. The water I do not trust because many times it is not filtered so I stick with the bottled water.  My roommate Anirudh or Ani, is from India and has been my expert when it comes to Indian or Malay cuisine and so far he has not let me down.
 I was also told today that there was another ETA who taught at my school a couple of years ago. Upon contacting her I was informed that it was the biggest school of the schools assigned and that she had a wonderful experience there. The kids and the staff were all very friendly and very supportive. She told me that they went out there way to make the ETA feel comfortable and worked very well in unison. THANK YOU.  She also informed me that the school got her a car so that she could drive around town and to other neighboring areas of KT (Kuala Terengganu). THANK YOU

1 comment:

  1. Dakari, we wish you all the best in Malaysia. Thanks for sharing your journal with us. Your words create a visual that's almost as nice as being there, (almost).

    Take care and share some photo's.

    Kind Regards,
    The RPCard Foundation

    ReplyDelete